Wednesday, May 7, 2008

The road to recovery

The lowest of lows during this transition is when self doubt is at its peak, when suddenly it does not make any sense to carry on with your lowly pathetic existence. I've just wasted good 24 years of my life and the saying "Youth is wasted on the young" starts to make sense. So you're in a situation where you have spent your life doing nothing and now the remainder of your life seems like an empty glass.. hence the term A glass three quarter empty.

This is where it all stems from, your incapability to see a bright future which you so easily could in the recent past.

Now don't get me wrong, I am a graduate with not the best academic record but have taken it in my stride and worked my way up. I started working at the early age of 22 with an IT marketing firm, I recall being an overly enthusiastic chap touted to be the next big thing. Nine months into my first serious job and I was offered a position with a company called Oracle, in the IT circuits this would be considered a seriously big break. My stint at Oracle totally lived up to its expectations as far as learning was concerned, in fact I took it in my stride to learn more going beyond everyone's expectations. After Oracle I got my next big break as a manager with a fairly reputable IT consulting firm and a fat salary to boot. My salary grew four folds since I started working but job satisfaction came down by as much at my new position. The very job that gave me great satisfaction a few months back was failing to create the same spark.

After a lot of struggle i finally decided that I was in some kind of crisis and that is when I discovered that this condition was quite common among twenty somethings. They say that every journey begins with a step and I hope against hopes that I have taken my first step in successfully making this transition.

No comments: